Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yupo paper experimentation

I work in an art supplies store, so I'm always busting to try the new and interesting things that my manager gets in. The yupo paper had been there for a while, but I didn't realise the potential it held for watercolour, so I gave it a go. The interesting thing about yupo paper is that it isn't paper from wood pulp, cotton or rag, but rather just sheeted plastic. Watercolour behaves differently on this surface, swimming and pooling until the water evaporates, instead of being absorbed into the paper. This makes it maintain a more liquid appearance even after it has dried. These works aren't necessarily my style, but it was fun to see what it could do. Sprinkling salt on the still wet image yielded interesting results as well.
flowers
watercolour on yupo, 2009

untitled
watercolour on yupo, 2009

untitled
watercolour on yupo, 2009

grim04
watercolour on yupo, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment